Freitag, 31. Dezember 2010

Earlier this year, when Lennon was still here, I heard of a mother - a friend of a friend - that lost her son who was around Lennon's age. The story hit me really hard and I kept thinking of this mother, wondering how she could ever go on living. That night when I put Lennon to bed I cried and told  him to never ever leave me, as I would not know how life could ever continue without him.

Only a couple of months later I too am that mother. Yet I did not die either - I am still here, something I could have never imagined possible. After the accident I was sure that my broken heart would just stop beating. But some survival instinct combined with the responsibility and love I feel for most of all Bessie, made me survive another second, another minute, then an hour and suddenly weeks turned into months.

Yet life is not the same anymore.

I remember one perfect hot sunday. We took the kids to Portobello beach and Lennon was splashing around in the sea, laughing loud when the shallow waves touched his tiny feet. Later the four of us went to a friend's BBQ and Lennon stripped down in the garden and he was so proud when he was allowed to carry his dad's beer. In the evening we carried our two exhausted kids home and I felt like the luckiest woman alive to be the mother of these amazing children.

Having lost Lennon has broken my heart, even if it kept on beating. I am still able to feel all the love and adoration for Bessie, she is my daughter just as he will always be my son and I want to make her life as happy as possible. But I can't imagine that any day can ever feel this perfect again, as Lennon will be missing, no matter how good any moment may be.

4 Kommentare:

  1. Hi Nadja, I came across your site via another blog, and I just wanted to drop by to say how sorry I am to hear of the death of your precious son Lennon. What an awful thing for your family to go through. It's so unfair. I don't know how you feel but I imagine your grief must be horrendous. I'm hoping for you some scrap of peace amidst the storm.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Thanks for also sharing the story of Salome. Reading your words I came across the following, a description that rings so painfully true, that I would like to paste it into this comment. I am sorry for your loss and I wish that neither of us would have had to ever write any of this. But you describe heart-breakingly beautiful in July your emotions. You wrote "I just want to say that I miss my baby Salome, that this is grossly unfair, that although Salome's death is not news to anyone it is still a daily event for me, that the pain is enormous, that I still fret for her when it is stormy outside, that a world where healthy full-term babies die from stupid everyday infections is a fucked up world. I miss my daughter.

    That's all I want to say.

    Now I will do the washing up, fold some clothes, cry some more, kiss X and K in their sleep and go to bed. The grief gets platted into the day, and I do my best to relax into it when its at its most intense. It's like contractions in that way."

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Nadja, your post reminds me of what the pastor who performed my daughter's service said. According to him, one of the purposes of the service was to comfort the living, to offer them hope. I don't think that was possible during the service, but I often think of him saying that and realize that life is for the living. After losing my daughter I, like you, couldn't believe I could feel that much pain and still be alive. Because life is for the living, I try to experience it, rather than death. In the beginning I did feel that I experienced death more than life. My saving grace, I feel, was my baby. Nothing is a greater reminder of life than a new life. I hope your adoration of Bessie can live beside your love for Lennon. That's what I try to do these days.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Dear Nadja
    I saw Susan yesterday and she told me the terrible news about Lennon. I am so, so sorry. Sorry for you and your loss, and most of all sorry that such a sweet life was cut so short. Rest in Peace wee man.

    It's an awful thing, and I just wish that there was something I could say that would make a difference, to make you feel better - but I know there isnt. We send your our love and warmest wishes from Edinburgh.
    Caroline (who was in your ante natal yoga class before your Bessie and my Jess were born).

    AntwortenLöschen